Re: [platform-releng-dev] Please take note of bug 483395 (Don't ignore unavoidableGenericProblems)

> See also comment 12, where it appears many people have overridden the default settings when they probably no need to? If there is a need to, perhaps you could spell that out in bug
> 483395 and link to a bug for your component that explains problems and plans

Most of those are in Platform UI. Can someone from Platform UI please look into this. Would be good to align this to the standard.

Dani

From:        "David M Williams" <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        05.01.2016 15:33
Subject:        [platform-releng-dev] Please take note of bug 483395 (Don't ignore        unavoidableGenericProblems)
Sent by:        platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

There was a change made in our builds right before the year-end holidays, so I thought I would point out the change now -- in case anyone missed it.

In
bug 483395 we express our desire to remove -warn:unavoidableGenericProblems from our *default* code compile options. But, it turned out there are still too many bundles with 1 or 3 such warnings to make that feasible. As a compromise we have set it, for now, as removed from the default settings for N-builds so those warnings "show through", but for I-builds we leave it in the defaults to not miss any more important warnings. So after the I-build today, please compare its warnings with the  latest N-build warnings.

We hope all component owners can manage to do simple and easy clean up before M5 so we can change the default by then.

There are a few bundles that we understand can not be cleaned up (where there are thousands of such warnings), and that is fine -- those can be special cases.

See also
comment 12, where it appears many people have overridden the default settings when they probably no need to? If there is a need to, perhaps you could spell that out in bug 483395 and link to a bug for your component that explains problems and plans.

This work does not take priority over functional or "fix" work ... I just wanted everyone to be aware of it and ask you to keep it in mind so you could plan a few relaxing hours :) cleaning up any easy-to-fix warnings. If any turn out not to be easy, perhaps that deserves further discussion at the weekly status meeting?