[platform-releng-dev] Heads up: I have moved Platform build to Tycho 0.23.0-SNAPSHOT for new "Mac App" layout ... but ...

I have moved Platform build (master branch) to use Tycho 0.23.0-SNAPSHOT,
and made a few other changes needed to build the "Mac App" layout.  (Bug 461427)

BUT ... for us to do a "complete, whole build" we currently need to use a patched version of Tycho 0.23.0-SNAPSHOT.
The patch we use is the same one attached to Bug 461872.

Ideally, that patch will be accepted SOON and then we will change to using an "ordinary, official" version of Tycho 0.23.0-SNAPSHOT.  I am hoping for "Early Monday" (3/16) ... but, the Tycho team has not committed to that.

So ... besides breaking others doing "whole builds" (following our wiki directions) ... the current situation *might* break some Gerrit jobs. It will depend on if you run into Bug 461872 or not.
At this point, I would not recommend anyone else patching Tycho during their build, as we are. I'm hoping that by the time it'd take me to explain it :)
and the time anyone else could implement it, it will no longer be needed.

Other implications:
A. We'll no longer need X-builds ... but our N- and I- builds will contain the new "Mac App" layout. (I'll remove the X-builds, as soon as we have a reasonable I-build).
B. One implication of changing to the new layout, for the Mac, any previous installs, will not update to the new Mac App layout. You'll have to start fresh.  (AFAIK)
C. I have not had time to look at the running the unit tests "on the Mac", and am not sure if it's an hours worth of work, or a day's worth.
D. After unit tests are running, I plan to turn on "signing" the Mac App (again) which we could not do, at all, with the old layout, but until Bug 445050 is fixed by Eclipse Infrastructure team, it won't be a completely valid signature.

I thought it best to keep everyone informed. Do feel free to let me know if there are unanticipated consequences.

Thanks for your understanding during the next few "rough days" as we transition.

Back to the top