Re: [platform-releng-dev] Status of the performance test project

I do not have the full platform code to test. How can I easily test that patches do not break anything for the Platform performance tests. I thought they were not run anymore.

Thanks,

On 04/22/2014 09:39 AM, David M Williams wrote:
Patches would be most welcome. I was trying to make the point that it's not supported "as much" as the Platform itself.

Naturally, demonstrating the patches not only work for you, but also (still) work for Eclipse Platform would be important. For some patches, that might be obvious? But, for others, it might require someone having some test cases, or demonstrating the performance tests for the Platform still work.

Thanks,

From:        Geneviève Bastien <gbastien+lttng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        04/22/2014 09:33 AM
Subject:        Re: [platform-releng-dev] Status of the performance test project
Sent by:        platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi David,

Thanks for your detailed answer and sorry about taking so long to come back to you. I've just recently had time to look at the performance test and really I think it's very interested. It does about 90% of what we want it to do (the core part that is, the .ui plug-in has a lot of hard-coded values and I couldn't make it work at all [yet] for our project).

We'd like to use it to keep track of the performance of our project (linuxtools-lttng), possibly on our own hardware, but the students working with us will also want to use it to get performance statistics from different version of their algorithms. They will have some more needs, like keeping the results of all iterations, not just average and standard deviation.

Can we contribute to the org.eclipse.test.performance and org.eclipse.test.performance.ui plug-ins? Will patches be reviewed in good time? The "degree of support" worries me a bit. And is this the right place to discuss these plugins or should I bring this discussion to another mailing list?

Geneviève Bastien
Research Associate
École Polytechnique de Montréal