From:        Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date:        12/16/2013 04:35 AM
Subject:        [platform-releng-dev] Should "build-individual-bundles" be enabled        by default?
Sent by:        platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

It seems to me that since Tycho is mainly aimed at making it easier for contributors to build and test stuff locally, it makes sense that the default maven execution "mvn clean verify" does exactly what contributors need.
In such case, I'd like to suggest that the "build-individual-bundles" profile should be activeByDefault. Indeed, when working on a single bundle or single component, just like contributors do, this profile is mandatory to resolve dependencies to other Platform components.
If this get activeByDefault, it can be easily disabled in "Build All" cases, by using command-line "mvn clean verify -P!build-individual-bundles" which will skip the eclipse.p2.repo repository definition and will try to resolve Platform dependencies from inside the reactor.

What do you think?

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at