Re: [platform-releng-dev] Progress with Platform Build and Sonar

On 07/11/2013 07:23 PM, John Arthorne wrote:
I spent some time combing through the results and found very few real problems.
That's great, the goal is actually to find real problems, not to get 0 warnings.
I agree that introduces an actual effort to filter the set of reports and identify the important ones. I'm curious, how much time did you spend for how many actual fixes to introduce?

Certainly everything of "Major" severity and lower is purely subjective stylistic suggestions. These are better enforced with a code formatter, with profile included in project and performed automatically on save. Post-build analysis is the wrong time to enforce styling. Now the user has to create a new commit, run a new build, etc, rather than just cleaning this up automatically at development time.

I fully agree that static analysis and code style in IDE has much more efficiency than after build. Spotting defects early makes them much easier to consider and fix. IDE is the earliest time where to spot a defect.
Also, the benefit of having this in IDE is that it is like having a pair-programmer to teach pieces of advice as you write, so it basically makes developers better.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top