Re: [platform-releng-dev] Character encoding standard for Eclipse source?

We don't have a standard. It depends on which machine the code was written since most of our projects do not have the encoding explicitly set. This usually works fine with either UTF-8, Cp1252 or ISO-88859-1, because no special characters are used. In cases where special characters are used, like e.g. umlauts, the encoding is (hopefully) explicitly specified on the project and stored in the repository. That explicit project encoding must be honored by all means as and this also applies to the explicit encoding on folders and files within a project.  There is no reason to ask projects to change that - the builder simply has to honor this. Same for the encoding specified by/inside XML files.

As a side note: all our tests also run with a different (default) encoding, depending on which machine they are executed.

Dani

From: David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 30.01.2013 04:28
Subject: [platform-releng-dev] Character encoding standard for Eclipse        source?

Team,

I could not, in 30 seconds of searching, find it documented anywhere, but I get the impression that the "standard" for encoding our Eclipse platform source code is ISO-8859-1, right? (Is it "required"? Or just recommended? Or just tradition?)

For PDE builds we tell the compiler this information by using build.properties. Such as,
compilerArg=-inlineJSR -enableJavadoc -encoding ISO-8859-1

So,

A. for our CBI-based (maven) builds, this is done, I'm learning, by specifying this property in the parent pom (and, then projects that want something else have to override).
See
Bug 399441 - [CBI] Warnings about UTF-8

<properties>
  <project.build.sourceEncoding>ISO-8859-1</project.build.sourceEncoding>
</properties>

B. But, while investigating that, I noticed some projects do not seem to specify any encoding for their IDE project, and a few specify UTF-8 (but don't seem to specify it in their build.properties). So, I opened a new bug for projects to fix up their project settings. See

Bug 399451 - Some projects have incorrect encoding set
Its not very specific on who needs to do what, but hope all project leads can double check their project settings to make sure they are correct for Kepler.