Re: [platform-releng-dev] APITooling baseline for 3.6 maintenance development

>> The API freeze check can be removed from the 3.6 maintenance build page
>> since no new API can be added if everybody is using this setting.
>
>Or, the API freeze check could use 3.6.0 as the reference baseline to
>catch any illegal API changes/additions in 3.6.1.

The developer has to see the same violations in his workspace as the build
will produce, hence both must use the same baseline which is '3.6.0' for
the '3.6' maintenance stream. That given, the freeze report becomes useless
and should be removed in order to reduce information duplication as the
same information is available in the 'API Tools Version Verification
Report'.

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Darin Wright <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                    |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |13.07.2010 21:14                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [platform-releng-dev] APITooling baseline for 3.6 maintenance development                                                                     |

> In order to get everyone to use the appropriate baseline for 3.6
> maintenance development, I am sending this message to the releng list.
> The right baseline for the 3.6 maintenance stream is 3.6.0 and not
3.5.2.
> The reason for this is that no new APIs should be added in a dot
release.
> In order to prevent this from happening, 3.6.0 should be the baseline to

> use. So if any new API is added, the tooling will suggest moving the
> version to 3.7.qualifier and this is forbidden.
> If you use 3.5.2 as the baseline, you can end up introducing new APIs
> without noticing since the minor version is already incremented.
>

> The API freeze check can be removed from the 3.6 maintenance build page
> since no new API can be added if everybody is using this setting.

Or, the API freeze check could use 3.6.0 as the reference baseline to
catch any illegal API changes/additions in 3.6.1.

Darin