Re: [platform-releng-dev] Tagged doc, reminder not to move tags

Why don't we check name, version and qualifier before starting to build
from source?

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Kim Moir <Kim_Moir@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                                    |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"Eclipse platform release engineering list." <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                    |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |16.09.2009 14:44                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [platform-releng-dev] Tagged doc, reminder not to move tags                                                                                   |

During the build, we build all the bundles from source.  Then we run a
comparator to compare the existing bundles in the repo with the new
bundles.  If there are two bundles with the same name, version and
qualifier, we use the old bundle.  We want to ensure that the zips
available on the build page will have the same content as a user who is
updating to a new build from the repo.  If a user is updating from the
repo,  she won't be prompted to install a bundle with the same name,
version and qualifier again.  Thus we discard the new bundle.

Andrew gave a short talk about this topic at EclipseCon
http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2009/08/versioning-p2-slides-from-eclipsecon.html

Kim

 Daniel Megert
 <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:                                                               To
 platform-releng-dev-bounces@eclipse          "Eclipse platform release
 .org                                         engineering list."
                                              <platform-releng-dev@eclipse
                                              .org>
 09/16/2009 02:28 AM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
          Please respond to                   Re: [platform-releng-dev]
      "Eclipse platform release               Tagged doc, reminder not to
          engineering list."                  move tags
  <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> which resulted in two copies of the bundle in our I-build repository with
the same version and *different* content. This means people upgrading from
a previous build would not obtain the newest contents
I agree they would get the old content. BUT: are really two copies in the
repository? I assumed that we don't build a bundle again if it is already
in the repository. Now, if that's wrong and there are two copies, why
doesn't the repository not simply discard the old copy?

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

 |John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

 |platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

|------------>
|------------>

 |[platform-releng-dev] Tagged doc, reminder not to move tags

I have tagged a doc change for the upcoming 3.6 M2 candidate build.

I discovered a doc bundle had been re-tagged with the same tag from a
previous build (a moved tag), which resulted in two copies of the bundle in
our I-build repository with the same version and *different* content. This
means people upgrading from a previous build would not obtain the newest
contents. I have tagged the affected bundle with a new version to ensure
that people upgrading to the latest build get the new content. This is a
reminder that it is *never* a good idea to retag a bundle with the same
tag. It is extremely difficult to track down problems caused by multiple
copies of a bundle floating around with the same version but different
content. New tags are not expensive so there is really no reason to ever do
this.

platform-releng-dev mailing list
platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx