Re: [platform-releng-dev] Tagged doc, reminder not to move tags

> which resulted in two copies of the bundle in our I-build repository with
the same version and *different* content. This means people upgrading from
a previous build would not obtain the newest contents
I agree they would get the old content. BUT: are really two copies in the
repository? I assumed that we don't build a bundle again if it is already
in the repository. Now, if that's wrong and there are two copies, why
doesn't the repository not simply discard the old copy?

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                          |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                                   |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |15.09.2009 23:58                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[platform-releng-dev] Tagged doc, reminder not to move tags                                                                                       |

I have tagged a doc change for the upcoming 3.6 M2 candidate build.

I discovered a doc bundle had been re-tagged with the same tag from a
previous build (a moved tag), which resulted in two copies of the bundle in
our I-build repository with the same version and *different* content. This
means people upgrading from a previous build would not obtain the newest
contents. I have tagged the affected bundle with a new version to ensure
that people upgrading to the latest build get the new content. This is a
reminder that it is *never* a good idea to retag a bundle with the same
tag. It is extremely difficult to track down problems caused by multiple
copies of a bundle floating around with the same version but different
content. New tags are not expensive so there is really no reason to ever do
this.

platform-releng-dev mailing list
platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx