Re: [platform-releng-dev] Lining up with other native builds

Dann,

There are custom builds scripts for the native builds that are run on the platform specific hardware. These binaries are then committed to the CVS repository so they can be included in the build.  We don't compile any platform specific C code during our build process, we only compile Java code.

For examples of these build scripts you can see

org.eclipse.equinox.executable in /cvsroot/rt  The scripts are in the library directory.

Kim

Dann Martens <dann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/13/2009 11:34 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse platform release engineering list."        <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-releng-dev] Lining up with other native builds

Dear all,

In the context of the ECF project, effort has begun to introduce native
IPC support to Java. There is some introduction available on the wiki:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/IPC

This is a continuation of the work already done by Clark Hobbie, who
started out with a Windows and a Linux implementation. His work is
called CLIPC and you can find the original project here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clipc/

I've proposed Clark to continue his work under the Eclipse umbrella,
because:
   (1) this community has experience in building additional components
for different native platforms (SWT, Equinox Launcher)
   (2) a strong community can increase exposure and applications of
this library (and staying power)
   (3) increase the amount of supported platforms
(and he agreed ;)

Although this a very special-purpose library, it has potential to
further improve desktop and o/s integration for the Eclipse IDE.

I'd like to solicit for specifications regarding the way we should
organize the project, in order to fit in an official Eclipse build, in
the long run.

The aim is to support all native platforms, supported.

Where can I learn about the way these native builds are done, and who
should we touch base with?

Best regards,
Dann