Re: [platform-releng-dev] Questions re tagging for 3.4.1

Until you actually make a change in the plugin, you should not re-tag and update your map file. This would result in end-users having to download your plugin even if it is unchanged from the 3.4.0 version.

When you do make a change, you should follow the version evolution rules in the version numbering guidelines [1]. For maintenance builds this is almost always just incrementing the service number by one (the PMC doesn't typically approve API changes in the maintenance stream).

As for the qualifier, there is no widespread agreement on this across components. How the version qualifier sorts with respect to qualifiers in other streams is irrelevant, since the major.minor.service number will be different. Version qualifiers only come into play when the first three version numbers are the same. Personally I would suggest you keep with your old convention, which groups together qualifiers from builds in the same stream and makes it easier to identify the stream the plugin belongs to. Some components simply use M followed by YYYY-MM-DD-HHHH. Ultimately it doesn't matter as long as the qualifiers are monotonically increasing from build to build in the same stream.

[1] - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering

"Walter Harley" <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/10/2008 12:47 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse platform release engineering list."        <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Eclipse platform release engineering list.'" <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-releng-dev] Questions re tagging for 3.4.1

I'm feeling a little confused about what I should be doing to the APT
plug-ins for 3.4.1.  I have not yet had to make any code changes in that
branch, though I do expect there will be some coming up.

In the past, shortly after the branch became available, I have branched
all the plugin projects, re-tagged all the files with a tag like
'R33x_v20070709-1200' (rather than our HEAD tags, which would look like
'v20070709-1200'), and modified the map files (in the branch) to point
to the new tag.

Q1: Is that still right?  Or will that inadvertently cause people to get
updates from p2 when they don't need them, because of the qualifier in
the plugin version number changing?

Q2: Is the R34x_ prefix still appropriate for 3.4.1?  Note that
alphabetically this sorts before the existing tag of v2008[etc.].

Q3: Can someone remind me again of the rules for when the version number
should be changed?  Major version for breaking API, minor version for
added API (but not breaking old), service number for bug fixes?

Thanks,
 -walter