Re: [platform-releng-dev] Branching HEAD to R3_3_maintenance

I like this idea. We pick a tag which fits nicely in the tag name history
(does "pre_R3_3" fit well in our history?), and we branch R3_3_maintenance
from there.
Then R3_3 would be tagged later. So R3_3_maintenance would be reserved for
3.3 work.
3.4 development would now occur in HEAD.
If people wanted to start working on 3.3.1, they would need to manage their
own branch.

             Daniel Megert
             <daniel_megert@ch
             .ibm.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse platform release
             platform-releng-d         engineering list."
             ev-bounces@eclips         <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             e.org                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             15/06/2007 15:33          Re: [platform-releng-dev] Branching
                                       HEAD to R3_3_maintenance

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse platform
                  release
                engineering
                  list."
             <platform-releng-
             dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I would tag all projects with e.g. "pre_R3_3" and branch from there if
needed, as we normally only branch a project when there is a maintenance
fix. When we're done we can tag the release with "R3_3" (as usual). Further
critical 3.3 fixes could be made in the R3_3_maintenance branch.

Dani

             Kim Moir
             <Kim_Moir@xxxxxx.
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse platform release
             platform-releng-d         engineering list."
             ev-bounces@eclips         <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             e.org                                                      cc
                                       eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
             15.06.2007 15:23          Re: [platform-releng-dev] Branching
                                       HEAD to R3_3_maintenance

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse platform
                  release
                engineering
                  list."
             <platform-releng-
             dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Another question, does anyone have a bug that they have approval for
inclusion in 3.3 that hasn't been submitted to a build?  If no, then +1 on
branching.

Kim

 Philippe P Mulet
 <philippe_mulet@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:                                                               To
 platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx         platform-releng-dev@eclip
                                                 se.org,
                                                 eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
 06/15/2007 09:12 AM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
            Please respond to                    [platform-releng-dev]
  "Eclipse platform release engineering          Branching HEAD to
                  list."                         R3_3_maintenance
    <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Last week, we decided to keep HEAD clean for possible 3.3 late changes.
Are we still thinking the same, or do we think we should create a branch
for 3.3 maintenance, and free HEAD for development ?

To make the discussion simpler:
Who is against creating the R3_3_maintenance branch now ?