[platform-releng-dev] FreeBSD port

I made a post latelly on the eclipse.platform newsgroup. I'm forwarding you my request, along with a patch and a procedure to apply it.

I wanted to install the Eclipse for 3.1 FreeBSD but the port was not ready yet. Since FreeBSD ports are always a bit late from the original releases, I decided to try to make a permanent port that could be submited directly to the Eclipse team. I would really hope that FreeBSD becomes an official supported plateform, and I am ready to help.

To get my Eclipse-3.1 working, I ported myself the whole Eclipse package, including all the standard bundled plugins (unlike the official FreeBSD port). I created a true freebsd-gtk-x86 version of Eclipse on my station.

Would you be interested in evaluating my modifications to eventually support a native FreeBSD Eclipse?

To get the port:

I tried to make a patch and tested it with GNU diff version 2.7, BSD patch version 2.1 and GNU patch version 2.5.4. I was completely despaired because both patch programs were not producing an identical result, and both resulting patches were broken. Since I don't know how reliable can be the standard diff/patch method with cross platform distributions, I also made available the whole freebsd-gtk-x86 source that I made here:

ftp://24.37.164.163/pub/eclipse/
eclipse-sourceBuild-srcIncluded-3.1-freebsd.zip

It's a cable modem address, so the address should be stable for a while. It works like the original source, you have to unzip from or to the 'eclipse' directory if you don't wan't to mess any other work directories :-)

Status of my port:

I created the freebsd-gtk-x86 from the linux-gtk-86 port. Every thing worked fine, except for those problems:

(I'll foward this part to Platform > SWT at bugs.eclipse.org/bugs)

1. Some windows are too wide compared to their original size: the opening workspace dialog and the startup and shutdown progress window. Also, some configuration dialogs, like for adding a library in the Java compiler settings are showing an empty window. I think that this happens when the content is too big for the size of the root window. If I'm right, those bugs are related. Could I get some clues about where to look for debugging this?

2. I had to regenerate myself the lauchersrc.zip with a manual "zip" execution, because it otherwise cannot be regenerated from any build.xml files. Is there a "cleaner" way to create this archive?

3. I saw that the org.eclipse.update.core.* where only defined for the Linux and Windows versions. I created a
org.eclipse.update.core.freebsd but is it possible that all other UNIX are using org.eclipse.update.core.linux plugins for their own port?

4. I always have to copy manually the "eclipse" launcher to the 'launchertmp' directory to make eclipse use the right gtk libraries. Is there an automated way to do this part?

5. On SWT, I don't want to support Mozilla integration, because Mozilla is not installed by default on a basic installation of FreeBSD. But I can't find from where the build.xml script is called in the org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse PI/library/gtk/ directory. I would like it to be called with the freebsd_gtk_x86 new target I've made (which disables the mozilla support).

6. It would be great if no binaries would be distributed with the source

7. It would be great too also if no spaces were in any directory names

Thank you very much for any help.

Stephane Russell
Computer advisor
Montreal