Re: [platform-releng-dev] Ignore all performance results for JDT/Core

Well, in our case, it rather looks like we take 10% less CPU, and though we
think we do not perform anymore I/O, overall it takes 25% more time to
perform the task.

             Mike Wilson
             <Mike_Wilson@ca.i
             bm.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse platform release
             platform-releng-d         engineering list."
             ev-bounces@eclips         <platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             e.org                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/25/2005 02:59          Re: [platform-releng-dev] Ignore
             PM                        all performance results for
                                       JDT/Core

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse platform
                  release
                engineering
                  list."

> CPU time says +10%, and the elapsed time says -25%
== The test code did 10% more work, but it finished %25 sooner.

Usually, this means the code spent less time waiting on other code to
finish (or similar synchronization issues).

It's still a good thing, because users care about elapsed time, not how
much CPU it took to compute the answer.

McQ.

Philippe P Mulet <philippe_mulet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-releng-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/25/05 05:43 AM
Please respond to
"Eclipse platform release engineering list."

platform-releng-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-releng-dev] Ignore all performance results for JDT/Core

Performance results posted on *any* recent build page are completely
inconsistent, and are either exposing missing reference data, or erratic
machine behavior.
The linux results seem a bit more accurate, though the build related tests
were anormally bad in 3.0 reference, and are throwing off the conclusions.

Interestingly, we are seeing some tests where the CPU time says +10%, and
the elapsed time says -25% ! How can ?