[platform-releng-dev] caution:slow builds

You may have noticed that the build last night took a long time to get to the testing stage.  This issue is due to several infrastructure issues unique to the Ottawa Lab.  With the migration of the dev.eclipse.org server to a new ip address over the weekend, a new and very inefficient routing path is taken from IBM Ottawa to the Eclipse foundation servers.  Last night, our local IT team made routing changes that they thought would address this problem.   However, these changes have not propagated yet and the problem still exists.  I have asked them to look at other solutions to this urgent problem.

Given this scenario I would ask that teams take _extra care_ when submitting to the build to ensure that we don't have map file issues or compile errors that require a rebuild.  Restarting the build will is extremely painful because it takes so long to check out the code from here.

As another workaround, I'll start a test build with a new version of our builder where the building several of the non-SDK drops is commented out to save time.  Currently it takes three or four hours for the build to get to the testing stage which is not acceptable during milestone week.

Kim

Back to the top