[platform-releng-dev] automated testing

First, let me mention that I'm using the 2.0.1 platform for the time
being.  I'm doing everything on x86 Red Hat Linux using the gtk port.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the automated tests to run.  I'd
like to be able to do this "from scratch" -- not downloading any
prebuilt code but instead using just the sources in the repository.
(My goal is to have tests run as part of an RPM build of eclipse.  It
is more in keeping with our standard procedures if this is done from
sources.)

I read the `readme.html' in org.eclipse.test, and I also looked at the
`runtests' script a bit.  I can't seem to make this work.

I've been able to build some of the test plugins by hand.  For
instance I built the code in org.eclipse.core.tests.harness.  (I
didn't see any top-level build support for this plugin.  How is the
test plugin code compiled?  I started adding code to the top-level
build.xml...)

Invoking a command like the one runtests uses doesn't work for me.  For
instance in my example it failed because
${org.eclipse.core.tests.harness} was undefined.  Defining this led
to other problems; at the end I get the mysterious ant output:

     [java] Java Result: 13

I don't know what this means.

I tried a couple different approaches, both without success: running
the central command from `runtests' by hand and invoking a plugin's
test.xml by hand via ant.

I seem to be stuck.  Is there some source of documentation I missed?
Failing that, can somebody suggest where I might start to figure out
what to do?

Also, a minor addendum: in org.eclipse.test/library.xml there is a
typo: one target is named "notfiy" instead of "notify".

Tom

Back to the top