[platform-releng-dev] Building Eclipse distributions from source

I'm attempting to make "packages" of Eclipse for Debian Linux. Since Debian
runs on a number of platforms other than x86 and has an automated build
system for generating these once you setup the correct package magic, I'm
working from the Eclipse source distribution. I've already setup the Ant
stuff necessary to build the SWT native libraries correctly/automatically,
and everything else seems to work just fine.

The problem I run into is that I can't find a mechanism for
install/seperating the runtime files only because the source build process
produces a monolithic tree containing both runtime "binaries" and source.
Some plugins do contain an exportplugin.xml Ant script which automatically
generates a zip containing the runtime components alone, but most plugins
do not have this.

What is the best way to produce a tree akin to the compiled builds placed
for download at eclipse.org? What tools/scripts are you guys using to
produce those builds and are they available somewhere (and if not, can they
be made available :-)?

Thanks!

-Seth

Back to the top