Re: [platform-help-dev] Questions: Help Editor? Running Help from CD-ROM?

Hi Mark! Thanks for posting on this topic.

> 1.) Is anyone working on an "Editor" for building and navigating the
> Help Toc file hierarchy?
...Is this something in the works already, or are there individuals
> interest in working on such a feature?

The Eclipse programmers would have to comment on whether there is something "in the works already" within the Eclipse Foundation itself. I have not seen anything in the formal Eclipse plans for 3.1 posted at eclipse.org that indicates that there is something like this.

Based on feedback I've heard was expressed at EclipseCon2005, there are individuals using Eclipse that would be interested in such a feature.

>2.) Also, Can I run the entire Standalone Help system off a CD-ROM? I'm
>interested in seeing if this is possible. Conceivable limitations would
>be eclipse and tomcat attempting to write log files...

Yes, this is possible. Eclipse on the CD would have to have access to a JVM ( the machine's operating system or on the CD and the startup command point to the one on the CD).

Write-access does have to be allowed tosome temporary directory, because Tomcat and the search indexing functions do require being able to write files. You can set a specific location using the -data parameter on the startup command and something like:
-data %temp%\standalone

The -data parameter is described here: http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/running_eclipse.htm

--Lee Anne
--------------------------

Lee Anne Kowalski
"Think big, start small, and be pragmatic."

Mark Diggory <mdiggory@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/12/2005 12:34 PM

Please respond to
platform-help-dev

platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-help-dev] Questions: Help Editor? Running Help from CD-ROM?

Hello Fellow Developers,

I've been working on a project to create a Eclipse based product that
allows the user to generate a CD-ROM of HTML content with a Table of
Contents, Search capability etc. The more this is spec'd out, the more
it looks like the Eclipse Help system. I have some questions for the
group which may lead to some cooperative development in the Eclipse Help
Plugin area.

1.) Is anyone working on an "Editor" for building and navigating the
Help Toc file hierarchy? I've been building my own EMF based editor for
an XML format that looks like the toc file format with slightly more
functionality. I'd be interested in seeing if the same strategy can be
applied to authoring a "Perspective" for Help content that includes

                a.) Help Toc View (Similar to package explorer but with toc's in
                    place of packages). Allowing one to add/rename/remove toc
                    entries in the viewer instead of editing the toc document
                    directly.

                b.) Through use of WTP, the viewer could then provide means to
                    quickly create and begin editing a generated html file for
                    any topic in the toc. that section of the toc.

                c.) A Standalone Help Run Configuration for testing the
                    generated Help plugin.

Is this something in the works already, or are there individuals
interest in working on such a feature?

2.) Also, Can I run the entire Standalone Help system off a CD-ROM? I'm
interested in seeing if this is possible. Conceivable limitations would
be eclipse and tomcat attempting to write log files...

thanks,
Mark Diggory