[platform-help-dev] Questions: Help Editor? Running Help from CD-ROM?

Hello Fellow Developers,

I've been working on a project to create a Eclipse based product that allows the user to generate a CD-ROM of HTML content with a Table of Contents, Search capability etc. The more this is spec'd out, the more it looks like the Eclipse Help system. I have some questions for the group which may lead to some cooperative development in the Eclipse Help Plugin area.

1.) Is anyone working on an "Editor" for building and navigating the Help Toc file hierarchy? I've been building my own EMF based editor for an XML format that looks like the toc file format with slightly more functionality. I'd be interested in seeing if the same strategy can be applied to authoring a "Perspective" for Help content that includes

	a.) Help Toc View (Similar to package explorer but with toc's in
	    place of packages). Allowing one to add/rename/remove toc
	    entries in the viewer instead of editing the toc document
	    directly.

	b.) Through use of WTP, the viewer could then provide means to
	    quickly create and begin editing a generated html file for
	    any topic in the toc. that section of the toc.

	c.) A Standalone Help Run Configuration for testing the
	    generated Help plugin.

Is this something in the works already, or are there individuals interest in working on such a feature?

2.) Also, Can I run the entire Standalone Help system off a CD-ROM? I'm interested in seeing if this is possible. Conceivable limitations would be eclipse and tomcat attempting to write log files...

thanks,
Mark Diggory

Back to the top