Re: [platform-help-dev] Questions about Standalone Update

platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 11/23/2004 03:04:24 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I've been exploring the standalone update functionality that was part of
> the 3.0.1 release.  I've been referring to the documentation at
> http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/org.eclipse.
> platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_standalone.html?rev=1.
> 1&content-type=text/html
> but I'm running into some issues.
> -All of these commands are issued from a command prompt against an Eclipse
> 3.0.1 instance running the minimal set of plug-ins required for an
> information center, along with the update plug-in.
> -Eclipse is being run on a Windows XP machine under Java version 1.4.2_05.
>
> -The feature being installed includes one documentation plug-in.
>
> When I try to install a feature using the command:
> java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application
> org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command install -featureId
> <MyFeature> -version 1.0.0 -from <MyUpdateSite>
> I receive a message stating <MyFeature> was successfully installed, and
> the command completed successfully.  If I go look at the file system, I
> see <MyFeature> in the features directory, and it's plug-in in the plugins
> directory.  However, when I go to the browser and view the information
> center, my newly installed feature/plug-in does not show up.  If I use the
> listFeature command, I see that my feature is installed and enabled.

Perhaps you need to restart the infocenter.
Or, as you do below, let the infocenter know that you have updated the set of plug-ins by calling the -apply (this is an infocenter specific command). The update standalone support assumes you are executing the commands on a stopped eclipse, and then the changes take effect when you start eclipse.

> If I then try to uninstall the feature using the command:
> java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application
> org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command uninstall -featureId
> <MyFeature> -version 1.0.0
> I receive a message stating the command failed and I should check
> c:\<EclipseHome>\workspace\.metadata\.log for details.  When I check the
> log file I see the message "Cannot find unconfigured feature  <MyFeature>
> with version 1.0.0"

The feature must first be deactivated (-command disable) and then uninstalled (-command uninstall).
In both scenarios, you need to restart eclipse after each command.

> I am able to work around the install issue by using the following set of
> commands:
> java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
> org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command install -featureId
> <MyFeature> -version 1.0.0 -from <MyUpdateSite>
> java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
> org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command apply
> After issuing these two commands, I can go to my browser and the
> feature/plug-in does show up.
>
> To work around the uninstall issue I use the following commands:
> java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
> org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command disable -featureId
> <MyFeature> -version 1.0.0
> java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
> org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command uninstall -featureId
> <MyFeature> -version 1.0.0
> java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
> org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command apply
> After issuing these three commands, I can go to my browser and the
> feature/plug-in does not show up.
>
> Additionally the apply command fails using the format:
> java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application
> org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command apply
> but is successful using the format:
> java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
> org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command apply
>
> I'm also unable to make the update command work under any circumstances.

When using -update, make sure you specify the feature id and version to update to.