[platform-help-dev] Questions about Standalone Update

Hi,

I've been exploring the standalone update functionality that was part of
the 3.0.1 release.  I've been referring to the documentation at
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_standalone.html?rev=1.1&content-type=text/html
but I'm running into some issues.
-All of these commands are issued from a command prompt against an Eclipse
3.0.1 instance running the minimal set of plug-ins required for an
information center, along with the update plug-in.
-Eclipse is being run on a Windows XP machine under Java version 1.4.2_05.

-The feature being installed includes one documentation plug-in.

When I try to install a feature using the command:
java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application
org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command install -featureId
<MyFeature> -version 1.0.0 -from <MyUpdateSite>
I receive a message stating <MyFeature> was successfully installed, and
the command completed successfully.  If I go look at the file system, I
see <MyFeature> in the features directory, and it's plug-in in the plugins
directory.  However, when I go to the browser and view the information
center, my newly installed feature/plug-in does not show up.  If I use the
listFeature command, I see that my feature is installed and enabled.

If I then try to uninstall the feature using the command:
java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application
org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command uninstall -featureId
<MyFeature> -version 1.0.0
I receive a message stating the command failed and I should check
c:\<EclipseHome>\workspace\.metadata\.log for details.  When I check the
log file I see the message "Cannot find unconfigured feature  <MyFeature>
with version 1.0.0"

I am able to work around the install issue by using the following set of
commands:
java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command install -featureId
<MyFeature> -version 1.0.0 -from <MyUpdateSite>
java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command apply
After issuing these two commands, I can go to my browser and the
feature/plug-in does show up.

To work around the uninstall issue I use the following commands:
java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command disable -featureId
<MyFeature> -version 1.0.0
java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command uninstall -featureId
<MyFeature> -version 1.0.0
java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command apply
After issuing these three commands, I can go to my browser and the
feature/plug-in does not show up.

Additionally the apply command fails using the format:
java -cp startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application
org.eclipse.update.core.standaloneUpdate -command apply
but is successful using the format:
java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.0.1/helpbase.jar
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Infocenter -command apply

I'm also unable to make the update command work under any circumstances.

So, my questions are
1) Are these genuine bugs, and has anyone else run into them?
2) If these are not bugs, what is the correct process for installing,
uninstalling, updating, etc...?
3) Would this issue be better addressed by the platform update developers?

Regards
Eric Morter

Back to the top