Re: [platform-help-dev] Migrating from 2.1 to 3.0

Or if you cannot migrate your plug-ins to 3.0, they will need org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility  plug-in.  Add it to the set of running plug-ins.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

Dorian Birsan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/18/2004 07:48 PM

Please respond to
platform-help-dev

platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-help-dev] Migrating from 2.1 to 3.0

Eric,

Do a search on migration in the online help for 3.0 and take a look at the first couple of hits.

-Dorian

Eric Morter <emorter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/18/2004 06:52 PM

Please respond to
platform-help-dev

platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-help-dev] Migrating from 2.1 to 3.0

Hello,

I'm currently migrating a Eclipse 2.1.1 Information Center to 3.0.  I am
running both Information Centers with the recommended minimal set of
plug-ins.  I found several documents, on dev.eclipse.org, stating that
plug-ins have to migrated from 2.1.1 to 3.0 using the PDE plug-in
migration tools.  I've also seen documents stating that Eclipse 2.1.1
plug-ins will be recognized and used if they are placed in the
eclipse/plugins directory of a Eclipse 3.0 based product.
When I take a Eclipse 2.1.1 help plug-in, that extends
org.eclipse.help.toc, add it to the eclipse/plugins directory of a
full-fledged Eclipse 3.0 install, start the workbench, and view help, my
2.1.1 help plug-in is visible.  When I take the same plug-in and add it to
the eclipse/plugins directory with the minimal plug-ins required to run an
Information Center, start Eclipse 3.0 in the information center mode, and
then view the information center in a browser, my 2.1.1 help plug-in is
not visible.
So, my questions are:
-Why can I see an Eclipse 2.1.1 help plug-in in an Eclipse 3.0 workbench,
but not in an Eclipse 3.0 Information Center?
-Is it possible to configure Eclipse 3.0 Information Center to display
help plug-ins even if they don't have the <?eclipse version="3.0"?> tag?

Please let me know if I need to clarify the situation, or if this would be
better addressed by a different group.

Regards
Eric Morter