Re: [platform-help-dev] Eclipse infocenter as Windows service - Is it possible?

I assume you're starting the "service" on Windows by adding a batch file
to the startup folder of some particular user? That's not a true Windows
service, so it's not a surprise that you're running into problems.

True Windows services require a DLL that defines entry points for the
start and stop methods of the underlying application, so that Windows can
cleanly start and shutdown the underlying application. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/services.asp
for more details.

If you create a Windows service that starts and stops the Eclipse help
system, you should consider contributing the code to the Eclipse open
source project.

Dan

platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 17/02/2004 10:23:37 AM:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to create a windows service for our Eclipse infocenter
2.1.1.

> As we have found out, if the user who started Eclipse server
> logoffs, the server will go down. This is not a problem in UNIX as
> we run Eclipse in the background but a major problem in Windows. So
> we will need to create a Windows service. Our windows service does
> start up and Eclipse help is working, but when the user finally logs
> off, the JVM dies (though eclipse.exe is still running but as a
> dangling thread).
>
> Is this due to the fact that Eclipse help infocenter does not
> return? We have tried various options against the vm including using
> "-Xrs" option in the -vmargs. Nothing seems to work.
>
> Can Eclipse infocenter not run as a Windows service?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Julia

Back to the top