Re: [platform-help-dev] ADA 508 Compliance

I am not able to give you straight answer to your questions, but have
general sugesstion regarding accessibility for everybody.
Feedback like this is very much required to get help more accessible, but
please be very specific as developers of help component are not
accessibiltiy experts, and we do not use JAWS on the daily basis either.
Detailed problem reports (or even patches) will help solving any
outstanding issues.  If anyone from the comunnity has experience in this
area please jump in.

platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/17/2004 03:52:09 AM:

> We are having problems certifying the help to be ADA compliant. JAWS is
> being used to validate the help and these are some of the errors we are
> getting:

Which build of Eclipse are you trying to ceritify, What is JAWS version?

> * The Welcome page: JAWS reads the header only and not the text within.
Please ask about welcome page on the platform-ui-dev or the newsgroup.

> * The Search in the help: If a search is performed, there has to be an
> alternate text when it is on.
Could you clarify a little:  Do you perform search in the help browser or
are you using Eclipse search dialog?  Which UI (or HTML) elements are
lacking alt text, something around the query, list of results, or a
document displayed?

>    Does anyone know how to do this?
> * In the Help: All the collapsed nodes under Contents are not read
equally.
> For some nodes all the leaf nodes are read for the others only the
top-level
> nodes are read. Hence it is inconsistent.
I have not seen this.  Could you open a bug against help, specify steps to
reproduce, and what is the expected behavior?