Re: [platform-help-dev] Converting multiple Windows help components to Eclipse

Esti,

The help system has a clear separation between content and the table of
contents (books), so you should be able to split the book into a number of
plugins. There are many ways of doing it, depending on the degree of
control you want to allow the writers.
If you know what the book looks like and all you want is for the writers to
fill in the contents of the topics, then here is the simplest approach:
1.  decide how you split the topics into multiple zip files
2.  create a plugin for each zip file
3.  create a plugin that defines the toc.xml for the entire book
4.  the above toc.xml should contain topic elements of the following form:
        <topic label="Some topic label"  href
="../other_plugin_id/path/to/topic.html">
      where "other_plugin_id" is the id of a plugin defined in step 2
above.

There isn't much to say for your second point, as Steve has already
provided an excellent description of what's needed.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           "Lederer, Esti"         |
|         |           <esti.lederer@xxxxxxxxx>|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           05/12/2003 03:01 AM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                               |
  |       cc:       "Wong, Carl" <carl.wong@xxxxxxxxx>                                                          |
  |       Subject:  [platform-help-dev] Converting multiple Windows help components to Eclipse                  |
  |                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                             |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi,

I'm not a help component developer, I'm a help component user, but I hope
this forum can answer my Q:

   1. I'm working on migrating a windows help system composed of ~30 chm
      files to Eclipse. I was wondering if there is a way to insert several
      .zip files into one upper-level help book. I.e. one doc.zip that is
      composed of lots of <help_component>.zip files. This would enable
      several help writers to work independently on different sections of
      the help.
   2. I understand that the Search only searches topics that appear in the
      TOC. Will a future version search all topics? (Isn't the whole idea
      of the Search feature to enable accessing all the topics?)
      http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-help-home/v2overview.html#search

Thanks,

Esti Lederer

Information developer