Re: [platform-help-dev] Is UTF-8 encoding assumed for all languages?

Hi Dan.

There is no assumption on which encoding documents come in.  I think your
problem might be that some documents do not specify encoding correctly (for
example, <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=big5">, that Eclipse translation have in the head, for Chinese),
and the browser has to resort to auto detection.  The auto detection part
of a particular browser may look at the containing frameset document to
guess.

If the charset is specified as above and you still see the problem, open a
bug against help and we will investigate it.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Dan
                      Scott/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA         To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  [platform-help-dev] Is UTF-8 encoding assumed for all languages?
                      eclipse.org

                      05/07/2003 05:13 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Hi:

I'm experiencing some strangeness with NL content in the help system. I
have Russian documents (navigation and help files) encoded in windows-1251
code page that sometimes display as gibberish.

It looks to me like the frameset document (index.jsp) encoding of UTF-8 is
interfering with the browser's interpretation of the encodings in the
individual frames.

This problem occurs in both Mozilla 1.3.1 and Internet Explorer 6. Is this
a known limitation of the help system or of browsers?

I suppose a workaround would be to convert all of our help content to UTF-8
before generating the doc plugins... yikes.

Dan
--
Dan Scott