Re: [platform-help-dev] Invoking a custom URL handler for an infopop "related topic link"

Steve,

It is currently not possible to invoke custom URL handler from infopop
links, but I would think the issue is with packaging of your documentation.
If a code is in common plug-in, then the corresponding F1 documentation can
be in another, but also a common plug-in, i.e. part of a feature that go
together with the common code.  If you need more description and related
links presented in the infopop when a specific product plug-ins are
installed, the optional plug-ins can contribute more infopop contents to
the existing infopop IDs from the common code.  Infopop will merge these
descriptions and related links and present all to the user.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Steve
                      Woolley/UK/IBM@IBMGB            To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  [platform-help-dev] Invoking a custom URL handler for an infopop "related
                      eclipse.org                      topic link"

                      04/25/2003 04:37 AM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Hi Folks,

I'm keen to understand how we should go about invoking a custom URL handler
for an infopop "related topic link".

Consider the following scenario:

We have currently build two editions of our product; edition A and edition
B.  Edition A is basically a cut down version of edition B although both
editions share some common plugins.  Within these common plugins, we have
infopop files.  Within the infopop files, there are hardcoded related topic
links (href="../com.ibm.pluginid.doc/filename.html") that point to specific
topics in the doc plugins for each edition of the product.  We currently
supply two, large and cumbersome, doc plugins; one for edition A, the other
for edition B.  Let's call them com.ibm.editiona.doc and
com.ibm.editionb.doc for the sake of this example.

The problem we face is that the common plugins do NOT get replaced if a
user upgrades from edition A to edition B.  This means that the hardcoded
related topic links in the infopop files in the common plugins will point
to the wrong URL.  For example, a user upgrades from edition A to edition B
but the common plugins (containing infopops) do not get replaced during the
installation process.  This means that the infopop files will still point
to "../com.ibm.editiona.doc/filename.html" rather than
"../com.ibm.editionb.doc/filename.html" which is undesirable.

How would you recommend we go about invoking a custom URL handler for these
infopop related topic links?

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen Woolley - User Assistance Architect
WebSphere MQ Integrator User Technologies
Mail Point 095, IBM United Kingdom Laboratories, Hursley Park,
Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 2JN, United Kingdom
Steve Woolley/UK/IBM@IBMGB             swoolley@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel/Fax:  +44 (0)1962 818428                      Internal:  248428
Home Office:  (01962) 774812  /  +44 1962 774812