[platform-help-dev] Effect of 'noexec' option for help system

Hello:

The docs for the Eclipse help system (infocenter mode) currently state:

-noexec - indicates that Eclipse executable should not be used. You may
need to use this option when running on a platform for which Eclipse
executable is not available.

What changes (function, performance) should we expect if we use the -noexec
option to run the infocenter?

On Linux systems that don't have the GTK2 libraries installed, for example,
I can make the GTK-based infocenter work by passing in the -noexec option,
but I don't want to do this as a matter of course if it means that the help
system will run ten times slower, or if search won't work, etc...

Thanks,
Dan

Back to the top