Re: [platform-help-dev] size limitations on documentation plugins?

Erik,

I'm not in a position to answer the first part of your question as I've not
done any kind of stress testing in this area - that's one for Konrad or
Dorian I think.  However, my understanding is that the help system always
looks in doc.zip first, before looking for a topic that's not contained
within doc.zip.  I guess the reason for putting files inside doc.zip serves
two purposes:  firstly, to reduce the amount of disk space, secondly, to
improve access times.

Steve

Stephen Woolley - User Assistance Architect
WebSphere MQ Integrator User Technologies
Mail Point 095, IBM United Kingdom Laboratories, Hursley Park,
Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 2JN, United Kingdom
Steve Woolley/UK/IBM@IBMGB             swoolley@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel/Fax:  +44 (0)1962 818428                      Internal:  248428
Home Office:  (01962) 774812  /  +44 1962 774812

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Erik                    |
|         |           Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           03/04/2003 00:21        |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [platform-help-dev] size limitations on documentation plugins?                                                              |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Hi, Eclipse Help Folk:

Are there any estimates for threshholds at which a documentation plugin
should be split into multiple documentation plugins to improve performance?

Is it an issue of the size of doc.zip and, if so, what's the approximate
maximum size before performance degradation?

Or of the number of files in doc.zip and, if so, what's the approximate
maximum number?

If the documentation plugin contains some large files (such as supplemental
PDF files, Flash animations, or large bitmaps), could degradation be
prevented by placing these large files outside doc.zip in the directory?

Or does the issue concerns the total size or number of files in the
documentation plugin (so doc.zip is orthagonal)?

By the way, Is the main reason to put files inside doc.zip to minimize disk
occupation for compressable files?  Or does it improve access time when
navigating across many files?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Hennum
ehennum AT us DOT ibm DOT com