Re: [platform-help-dev] help 2.0.x vs. help 2.1?

Eric, did you mean two help requests per second? If it were per minute, I
wouldn't worry at all.
For 2 requests per second, the only worry I'd had it they were for the
initial loading of the help view, or loading a book or performing search.
For just getting topics, I think a couple of requests per second will be
handled just fine.

I am assuming you will be running with a pre-build index (or at least a
partially prebuilt index), to avoid having a client wait for indexing to
happen.

I hope this helps, even if I didn't give you any real numbers to back the
above claims...
-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Erik                    |
|         |           Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           03/26/2003 04:41 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] help 2.0.x vs. help 2.1?                                            |
  |                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                             |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi, Dorian:

Thanks for the fast and informative response (especially with a release
pending).

On the performance and resource consumption issues, however, because a web
application has to use the proxied approach, that's where we must assess
our tradeoffs.

Assuming we used the same public web server but replaced an InfoCenter
2.0.x web application with a proxied InfoCenter 2.1 running on a separate
Tomcat instance, do you have any thoughts on what we could expect to see in
the following areas?

    *  How much more main memory would be required
            -  while waiting for a request?
            -  while processing a request?

    *  How much more CPU time (ie, utilization) would be required to
process two help requests per minute?

    *  By how much would the overall response time for a single help
request increase?

Even educated guesses would be useful to us.

Thanks again,

Erik Hennum
ehennum AT us DOT ibm DOT com

                      "Dorian Birsan"

                      <birsan@xxxxxxxxxx>             To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re:
[platform-help-dev] help 2.0.x vs. help 2.1?
                      eclipse.org

                      03/26/2003 12:16 PM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Erik, I've added a couple of answers/comments enclosed by <db>.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Erik                    |
|         |           Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           03/26/2003 02:39 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [platform-help-dev] help 2.0.x vs. help 2.1?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Esteemed Help Developers:

We're using InfoCenter Help in a web application and trying to assess
issues of migrating from 2.0.x to 2.1:

1)  Has anyone done any performance comparisons between the 2.0 and 2.1
InfoCenter architectures (where a public web server such as WebSphere
Application Server Express proxies requests to the internal Eclipse Tomcat
web server)?

<db>
I would like to see this kind of stats as well.
There has been some work done at
http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/ServletReport/ to compare app
servers, so you may get some idea of what Tomcat is capable of.
All my comments below are for the infocenter running by itself, no proxy
server.
</db>

    Also, any comparisons on resource consumption (both while serving help
pages and while waiting for help requests)?

    If numbers aren't available, informed insights into these issues would
be very useful.

    For instance:

    *  memory footprint?
         <db>Less memory used in 2.1, both in terms of transitive and
(eclipse) session usage.</db>
    *  CPU utilization?
         <db>2.1 help is faster: faster building of toc's, returning a
topic doc, generating html for navigation </db>
    *  page service time?
         <db>2.1 faster, but did not test what happens when a proxy server
is used</db>
    *  other?

    As a load estimate, we could assume that one of the application users
will make 2 help requests per minute on average (though their expertise
will, of course, change the estimate).

2)  For tracing and message logging, the web application and InfoCenter
share the logfile of the public web server in the 2.0 architecture.

    In the 2.1 architecture, is it possible to turn on logging for the
internal Tomcat web server?  Is it correct to say that the proxied help
requests will create two log entries, one in the public web server's log
and one in the internal Tomcat log?  Are there any other trace or logging
facilities in InfoCenter Help?

<db>
To turn Tomcat logging on you will need to change the config paramters in
org.eclipse.tomcat/conf/*.xml files.
Since the infocenter uses the eclipse platform, you can launch it so that
you can get eclipse and help trace information (see the online docs for how
to use .options and -debug). This log will go to the .metadata/.log file in
the eclipse working space directory.
</db>

3)  Regarding NL, is it correct to assume that 2.1 InfoCenter Help is
NL-ready? That is, will 2.1 InfoCenter Help require any code enhancements
to support NL?

<db>
Yes, 2.1 is NL-ready. I assume IBM is providing the translation files at
some point.
</db>

    Will 2.1.1 add anything beyond bug fixes and properties files with
translated strings?  Have you planned any other enhancements or design
changes?

<db>
I am not aware of any planning for a 2.1.1 release, but if there is one, we
plan some bug fixes, as well as some enhancement, but nothing has been
decided as of now. I know one accessibility enhancement that we'd like to
do (Konrad has a patch for this): as the font size increases, the toolbars
and search banner frames will automatically be increased to accomodate
larger text.
If you have any suggestions, please open the necessary bugs/features.
</db>

    Is it correct to assume that all localizable properties are identified
already in the English property files?
<db> Yes </db>

4)  What problems can we expect in migrating from 2.0.x to 2.1 (either now
or within a year)?

<db>I don't expect any problems. Are you foreseeing anything?<db>

    No changes to the help content are required, right?
<db>No, no changes </db>

    Web application servlets that make help requests might need to change
the URLs for making help requests and how they access the content frame as
well as installation, startup, and shutdown but, otherwise, should not
require changes, right?

<db>
URL's have not been documented as API's, so we have the liberty to change
them. However, we have provided some servlets in 2.1 to support some
experimental URL's to access topics, contexts, search results.
</db>

Thanks in advance,

Erik Hennum
ehennum AT us DOT ibm DOT com

----- Forwarded by Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM on 03/26/2003 10:07 AM -----

                      "Konrad Kolosowski"

                      <konradk@xxxxxxxxxx>            To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re:
[platform-help-dev] use of 2.0 language packs for 2.1
                      eclipse.org                      InfoCenter?

                      03/19/2003 12:45 PM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Most keys are the same, but there are some new ones introduced in 2.1.
View names, tab tooltips will appear to the user as key names if you use
2.0.x translations.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Erik

                      Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS        To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:
[platform-help-dev] use of 2.0 language packs for 2.1 InfoCenter?

                      eclipse.org

                      03/19/2003 11:49 AM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Hi, Eclipse Help Minders:

On the newsgroup, a posting suggests a way to use 2.0 language packs for
the 2.1 release:

Does a 2.0 language pack provide every localized string used in the 2.1
InfoCenter?  And, are the keys the same?  In other words, are there any
localization needs for 2.1 InfoCenter that aren't met by 2.0 language
packs?