[platform-help-dev] Allow environment variables in hrefs in toc files

Hi,

I would like to make and submit my first contribution to the Eclipse project to allow the use of environment variables in toc.xml files, e.g.

<topic label="Debugger" href="">file://$AMZI_DIR/docs/pro/pug_overview.htm#Debugger" />

We need this change because our docs are installed separately from the plug-in and their location is findable by the environment variable AMZI_DIR (in this example).

I have 3 questions.

1) I believe the best place for this change is in normalizeHref in HrefUtils.java. Is that correct?
2) What format is best for the environment variable? Some choices seem to be:
     $ENV_VAR or other special characters
     env://ENV_VAR/doc...
     ENV_VAR and always check file:// style href's to see if the first segment of the path is an
     environment variable
3) There must be a lib/so in Eclipse that can provide the value of an environment variable. Would you know where that is?

Thanks much,
Mary Kroening

  Amzi! inc.
    5861 Greentree Road