Re: [platform-help-dev] validating InfoCenter Eclipse on a new platform

Erik,

There a simpler answer to question of how to test from command line.
Eclipse download pages, for example:
http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/I-I20030211-200302111320/index.php

have a section "JUnit Plugin Tests and Automated Testing Framework" that
contains instruction and a zip of a framework for invoking tests from a
command line.  These downloads have been available with builds for four
months, but I never noticed them since testing from within workspace did
the job for me.

In the latest builds the file org.eclipse.help.tests/test.xml calls two
tests targets "core-test", and "ui-test".  I think you may need to edit the
test.xml ant file to comment out the "ui-test" target before running on
unsupported platform, as this target will try to launch test that run
within the the workbench - something that you do not need and that may
fail.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Konrad
                      Kolosowski/Toronto/IBM@I        To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      BMCA                            cc:
                      Sent by:                        Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] validating InfoCenter Eclipse on a new platform
                      platform-help-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      01/24/2003 12:45 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Erik,
helpsniff.bat is not going to work.  It is a left over from early days of
junit in Eclipse.  Currently, we launch tests from the workspace, and the
release team runs a command line version of them.  I am not sure what
required setup is for that.

On a new server platform, I would recommend manual testing of combination
of starting, stopping, restarting infocenter with browsing few topics and
obtaining search results for sample docs in English and few other
languages.  Everything else can be tested on desktops OSes.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Erik

                      Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS        To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:
[platform-help-dev] validating InfoCenter Eclipse on a new platform

                      eclipse.org

                      01/23/2003 07:02 PM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Hi, InfoCentrans:

Which actions would be advised to validate the InfoCenter Eclipse help
system on a new server platform?

The first step would seem to be to run the Eclipse help tests on the server
platform:

   http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.help.tests

Would the procedure resemble the following:

   Install the full Eclipse framework on the platform.
   Download the org.eclipse.help.tests plugin to the Eclipse installation.
   Build the Java sources of the org.eclipse.help.tests plugin.
   Run the AllHelpTests.java test (as shown in the helpsniff.bat invocation
   file).

On which other plugins does InfoCenter Eclipse have dependencies?  How
would these dependency plugins be validated?  I'd expect to need to
validate Eclipse platform core, but I didn't find an equivalent test plugin
for Eclipse core.  Does one exist?  I assume there's no reason to validate
the platform's Java UI component or build and edit components.

In addition, I assume it's a good idea to run manual tests to validate the
Eclipse help client functionality and, thus, provide additional validation
of the server functionality:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-help-home/testing/scenarios.html

Ignoring, of course, the sections titled "Integration With the Workbench"
and any test that mentions infopop or active help functionality, since
these aren't supported for InfoCenter Eclipse help.

Other suggestions for validating InfoCenter Eclipse on a new platform?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Hennum
ehennum AT us.ibm.com