[platform-help-dev] validating InfoCenter Eclipse on a new platform

Hi, InfoCentrans:

Which actions would be advised to validate the InfoCenter Eclipse help
system on a new server platform?

The first step would seem to be to run the Eclipse help tests on the server
platform:

   http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.help.tests

Would the procedure resemble the following:

   Install the full Eclipse framework on the platform.
   Download the org.eclipse.help.tests plugin to the Eclipse installation.
   Build the Java sources of the org.eclipse.help.tests plugin.
   Run the AllHelpTests.java test (as shown in the helpsniff.bat invocation
   file).

On which other plugins does InfoCenter Eclipse have dependencies?  How
would these dependency plugins be validated?  I'd expect to need to
validate Eclipse platform core, but I didn't find an equivalent test plugin
for Eclipse core.  Does one exist?  I assume there's no reason to validate
the platform's Java UI component or build and edit components.

In addition, I assume it's a good idea to run manual tests to validate the
Eclipse help client functionality and, thus, provide additional validation
of the server functionality:

   http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/platform-help-home/testing/scenarios.html

Ignoring, of course, the sections titled "Integration With the Workbench"
and any test that mentions infopop or active help functionality, since
these aren't supported for InfoCenter Eclipse help.

Other suggestions for validating InfoCenter Eclipse on a new platform?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Hennum
ehennum AT us.ibm.com

Back to the top