Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour

I can't support this requirement.  I don't think it matters if topics (such
as trademarks) appear in the search results.  As long as the topic is
titled "Trademarks", or "Legal Notices", it should be obvious to most users
that the term they are looking for is probably not going to be contained
within a list of trademarks or legal notices - even if it does appear near
the top of the search results.

If we're talking about a relatively small number of topics here (less than
10), I doubt it's going to have a significant impact on performance.

Steve

Stephen Woolley - User Assistance Architect
WebSphere MQ Integrator User Technologies
Mail Point 095, IBM United Kingdom Laboratories, Hursley Park,
Winchester, Hampshire, SO21 2JN, United Kingdom
Steve Woolley/UK/IBM@IBMGB             swoolley@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel/Fax:  +44 (0)1962 818428                      Internal:  248428
Home Office:  (01962) 774812  /  +44 1962 774812

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Robert Turek/Santa      |
|         |           Teresa/IBM@IBMUS        |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           21/01/03 18:09          |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour                                                          |

We want the topics to appear (they'll be HTML files) and for users to be
able to
view them, but it probably doesn't make sense to search'em.  We have a
number
of topics, such as legal notices or lists of trademarks or an index, that
don't make
sense to search.

I gather from your response, y'all never thought to support this.

____________________________________  The Bobster

                      birsan@xxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        To:
                      platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        cc:
                      eclipse.org                     Subject:  Re:
                      [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search
                                                       Behaviour

                      01/21/2003 09:37 AM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Why would you like to exclude topics?
You can give the topics a different extension (other than html, htm, xml or
txt) and that may work.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Robert Turek/Santa      |
|         |           Teresa/IBM@IBMUS        |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           01/21/2003 11:56 AM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour

A questin related to this issue . . . . Is there a way to _exclude_
certain topics in the TOC from being searched?