Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour

If a topic is accessible to the user by clicking links to it from other
documents, but the topic itself is not included in the navigation tree, it
will not be indexed.

To request a new functionality, use bugzilla
http://dev.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform, and set the
severity to enhancement.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Robert Turek/Santa
                      Teresa/IBM@IBMUS                To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour
                      eclipse.org

                      01/21/2003 01:36 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

True . . . the number is currently small, but for use as an information
center, where multiple
sets of information can be included, the number of such files will be
larger.     Further,
to make search more useful, we should do what we can to limit the number of
hits
to those that are more likely to be useful, to save have to wade thru a
large
number of hits.

How do we request new functionality?

____________________________________  The Bobster

                      birsan@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                        To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        cc:

                      eclipse.org                     Subject:  Re:
[platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search
                                                       Behaviour

                      01/21/2003 10:21 AM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Robert,

If you just change the extension of the topic file (the file still has HTML
content) IE can still render the file as HTML, but apparently Mozilla
doesn't.
So no, there is nothing built into the help system to skip indexing some
files. Since the number of non-indexable files is small, it probably
doesn't hurt searching anyway.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Robert Turek/Santa      |
|         |           Teresa/IBM@IBMUS        |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           01/21/2003 01:09 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

We want the topics to appear (they'll be HTML files) and for users to be
able to
view them, but it probably doesn't make sense to search'em.  We have a
number
of topics, such as legal notices or lists of trademarks or an index, that
don't make
sense to search.

I gather from your response, y'all never thought to support this.

____________________________________  The Bobster

                      birsan@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                        To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        cc:

                      eclipse.org                     Subject:  Re:
[platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search
                                                       Behaviour

                      01/21/2003 09:37 AM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Why would you like to exclude topics?
You can give the topics a different extension (other than html, htm, xml or
txt) and that may work.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Robert Turek/Santa      |
|         |           Teresa/IBM@IBMUS        |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           01/21/2003 11:56 AM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] Unexpected Search Behaviour

A questin related to this issue . . . . Is there a way to _exclude_
certain topics in the TOC from being searched?