Re: [platform-help-dev] indexing problem with InfoCenter Eclipse 2.0.1?

Hi, Dorian:

The problem turned out to be ours.  We had some hashes in our toc.xml file.
Removing those hashes fixed the problem.

(Of course, it _might_ be suggested that hashes in a toc.xml URL could be
tolerated through truncation....  But I understand that more general
consideration of hash treatment is underway.)

Apologies for the false alarm,

Erik Hennum
ehennum  AT   us.ibm.com

                      birsan@xxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        cc:
                      eclipse.org                     Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] indexing problem with InfoCenter Eclipse
                                                       2.0.1?

                      01/10/2003 01:08 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Erik,

Is your G: drive a local drive? There may be Lucene problems with remote
drives.
Please open a bug and attach the content of the nl\en_US directory (zipped)
so we can take a look at what's there when indexing fails.
Is the problem reproduceable on other machines ?

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Erik                    |
|         |           Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           2003-01-10 03:41 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [platform-help-dev] indexing problem with InfoCenter
Eclipse 2.0.1?                         |

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi, Eclipse Help People:

We have an InfoCenter Eclipse 2.0.1 with Tomcat 4.0.6 and JDK 1.3.1 on
Windows 2000.  The web server is serving up content just fine.  The search,
however, is broken (doesn't start reindex progress bar or return from a
search request).  We tried shutting down Tomcat, removing the generated
index files in
work\Standalone\localhost\help\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.help\nl\en_US,

 and restarting Tomcat.  That approach has worked fine on other systems.

Instead of generating new index files, however, the log reports an error on
the missing index files:

Fri Jan 10 07:46:37 EST 2003
ERROR  org.eclipse.help  Exception occured performing search for: volume.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: G:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6
\work\Standalone\localhost\help\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.help\nl\en_US\segments

 (The system cannot find the file specified)
      at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:93)
      at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:138)
      at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream$Descriptor.<init>(Unknown
Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openFile(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.read(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader$1.doBody(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock$With.run(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at
org.eclipse.help.internal.search.SearchIndex.search(SearchIndex.java:224)
      at
org.eclipse.help.internal.search.SearchManager.search(SearchManager.java:144)

      at
org.eclipse.help.internal.protocols.SearchURL$1.run(SearchURL.java:100)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

We also tried to remove all of the generated files in
work\Standalone\localhost\help.  The JSPs happily recompiled, and the
.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.help\nl\en_US subdirectory structure was
successfully recreated, but index files weren't generated.

Any suggestions of things to investigate or try?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Hennum
ehennum  AT   us.ibm.com