Re: [platform-help-dev] embedded help for web applications for InfoCenter Eclipse

Hi, Dorian:

Hmmm.  Would that be an approved hack?  Somehow, it would seem like less of
an abuse of the context infopops if the description were optional when the
context id mapped to a single topic, as in:

    <!ELEMENT context ((description, topic*)|topic) >

Anyway, let me step through it carefully:

*  The help author would maintain the mapping (with or without the empty
description) between the context ID and topic path in context.xml

*  The application requests the context ID from our extension web
application.

*  Our extension web application sets the plugin scope (in whatever way
that's done), executes ContentUtil.loadLinks("contextID"), gets the single
topic node, and includes its path to provide the HTML content to the
browser.

The only issue I see right now is that it would be good to get the browser
to recognize the identify of the page (for caching if nothing else) whether
requested by context ID or by path.  Maybe there's an HTTP header for
that...

Thanks for clarifying,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Dorian
                      Birsan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA        To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] embedded help for web applications for
                      eclipse.org                      InfoCenter Eclipse

                      09/17/2002 12:13 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Erik,

The context-sensitive help is just the concept, you can map a context id to
each application panel, not only to fields in that panel.
If you can get the xml data associated with a context, then you can render
it in any way you want. One example is to have each context id contain just
one related topic,
then your html renderer of that context would simply load the topic, so you
get the desired behavior inside the task assistance page.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Erik                    |
|         |           Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           09/17/2002 02:01 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] embedded help for web
applications for InfoCenter Eclipse           |

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi, Dorian:

We're providing panel-level instead of field-level assistance.  That is,
we're supplying one topic for each application panel instead of individual
infopops for each field.

We chose this approach in part because we felt it was important to provide
orienting information about the panel as a whole including the task for
which the panel is used.  The panel topic also provides specific
information about each field in the panel.

Am I correct in understanding that a single infopop can't handle content of
such length and complexity.  (For instance, images might need to be
embedded in the topic.)  Also, the panel topics should be available through
search mechanisms (though the user won't search for them directly but
instead, need to see them as related to other queries).  Finally, the user
benefits if links to immediately related topics can be followed without the
interruption of opening a new window.

Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Erik Hennum
SSG User Assistance
ehennum@xxxxxxxxxx
tie line:  544-8953               (Tuesdays 276-0273)

                      Dorian

                      Birsan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA        To:
platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re:
[platform-help-dev] embedded help for web applications for
                      eclipse.org                      InfoCenter Eclipse

                      09/17/2002 10:13 AM

                      Please respond to

                      platform-help-dev

Hi Erik,

If I understand your proposal correctly, the Task Assistant Page works a
lot like the context sensitive help (infopop, in eclipse help terms), with
the exception it is not triggered by F1, but it shown at all times. So,
instead of registering topics to application pages, this could be done by
registering a context id to each application page. All that's needed then
is to render the content of an infopop as html. Clicking on a related topic
inside the task asssistant page would then launch the help viewer opened to
that topic.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Erik                    |
|         |           Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           09/11/2002 07:11 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [platform-help-dev] embedded help for web applications
for InfoCenter Eclipse               |

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi, Eclipse Help Gurus:

We're contemplating embedding help topics within a web application window.
We'd like to pursue a strategy that will not only be valid for Eclipse
2.0.1 but also Eclipse 2.1 and (one hopes) beyond.

For InfoCenter Eclipse 2.0.1, the best approach seems to be to extend the
Eclipse help web application.  Here is a more detailed explanation of that
approach:

    (See attached file: HelpEmbedded.zip)

Will this strategy work with the design planned for 2.1?

We also have a working prototype that can be installed on Tomcat +
InfoCenter Eclipse 2.0.1, if that would clarify our approach.

Thanks in advance,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@xxxxxxxxxx

#### HelpEmbedded.zip has been removed from this note on September 17 2002
by Dorian Birsan