Re: [platform-help-dev] Request to grow a new fragment

Since there is little code, I think we can just add it to the existing
plug-in (org.eclipse.help.ui).  We can always refactor and break out a
fragment later if necessary.

Andre, you can attach a patch to the bug 21427.  I will be happy to apply
it.

Thanks.

Konrad Kolosowski
Eclipse Help System

                      Andre Weinand
                      <weinand@xxxxxxx>               To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-help-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] Request to grow a new fragment
                      eclipse.org

                      09/09/2002 03:58 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

Hi,
here are my answers to your questions:

>Second alternative is to add the code inside the org.eclipse.help.ui
>plugin, just create a package like there exist for each of Unixes.  To
>understand which is better - create a fragment or not, I have few
questions
>as I have not seen the MacOS code.
>
>1.  Is it only a browser adapter contribution, or are there changes to
>org.eclipse.help.ui required?

It is just a browser adapter contribution.

>2.  Is the code independent of MacOS SWT features, and other native code,
>or another words: does it compile on other platforms?

The code is completely independent for MacOS SWT features and compiles
everywhere. Basically it goes like this:

             Runtime.getRuntime().exec(
                         new String[] {
                                     "osascript",
                                     "-e",
                                     "open location \"" + url +"\""
                         }
             );

It starts an Applescript via the MacOS X programm "osascript"
to open an URL in the user's default browser.
(However, executing this on non-MacOS X system would result in an error).
>3.  Is it large amount of code, that would hurt if it were in a plugin
>installed on all the platforms?

No, see above.

>4.  Is it very stable and complete, or more like a prototype and more work
>is in plans?

It is stable but not complete. However, the implementation for the
other methods
like close() or setSize() would be Applescripts similar to the one from
above.

BTW: it would be nice if no java code would be necessary:
so the one liner
             "osascript -e open location $1"
could be provided as a simple shell script or via the plugin or
fgragment .xml file.

Thanks,
--andre