Re: [platform-help-dev] "" - exact search?

I agree with Kari and Jeanette. I would:

1) make the default stemmed AND search (as it is already)
2) change the "string_or_phrase" to be an exact string match
2) allow another syntax (like %string_or_phrase% maybe?) to be a stemmed
phrase search (which also has lots of value when users face vague or
variable root forms, as Kari pointed out).

Best,

Jamie

**************************
James H. (Jamie) Roberts
Corporate User Assistance Technology Lead
home office: 519-622-1156
cell phone: 416-576-4668

                      Jeanette
                      Deupree/Raleigh/IBM@IBMU        To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      S                               cc:
                      Sent by:                        Subject:  Re: [platform-help-dev] "" - exact search?
                      platform-help-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      26/07/2002 11:50 AM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-help-dev

I agree with what Kari said. The behaviour of searching with quotes has
surprised me a couple of times.

I do think there is benefit to stemming, would it be possible to make that
part of Advanced search? And then have the default for search to be respect
quotes for an exact match, and then optionally turn on stemming in the

Thanks, Jeanette

Jeanette Deupree
WebSphere Studio Tools Information Lead & Manager
RTP NC
919-254-1149 (tieline 444-1149)
deupree@xxxxxxxxxx

(Embedded image moved to file: pic06191.gif)Kari Halsted/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

 (Embe (Embedded image moved to file:            (Embedded image moved to
 dded  pic10249.gif)                             file: pic21139.gif)
 image                         Kari
 moved                         Halsted/Toronto/I To:
 to                            BM@IBMCA          platform-help-dev@eclips
 file:                         Sent by:          e.org
 pic21                         platform-help-dev cc:
 447.g                         -admin@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re:
 if)                           g                 [platform-help-dev] "" -
                                                 exact search?

                               07/26/2002 11:15
                               AM
                               Please respond to
                               platform-help-dev

I agree - I expect "" to yield exact searches, not stemmed phrase searches,
from other search engines. I would support a move in that direction. It
would be better than what we have today.

That being said, I think the stemmed phrase search has some value. For
example, the user might be searching for "installer options", but the docs
call it "install options". Phrase search would find that, but exact
wouldn't. Could we simply rank exact hits above stemmed phrase hits? Or do
we need another syntax for the stemmed phrase search (the advanced search
page could tell the user about the syntax)? Or do we expect our users to
try again with a less restrictive query if they don't get any results on an
exact search -- I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation, but if we
already have the ability to stem phrases, and it's valuable, maybe we
shouldn't completely get rid of it.
In short: I don't feel strongly about keeping or losing stemmed phrasing
search. I do feel strongly about making "" return exact hits, though.

Kari Halsted
User Assistance PDT
IBM Canada - Toronto Software Lab
(905) 413-3331 / tl 969-3331 / D3-238

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward
change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength
undefeatable.
-- Helen Keller