Re: [platform-help-dev] Embedding Mozilla

We did a bit of investigation last year, and started with some simple
requirements:
- wrap Mozilla as a simple SWT widget
- expose a minimal functionality: be able to navigate to specified URL and
size/resize the widget.

Things turned out to be relatively easy on Windows, but slightly more
complicated on Linux.
Mozilla on Linux is implemented using gtk, and at that time Eclipse was
only available on Motif.
I hacked the code a bit so the mozilla control was reparented to a
different parent, things worked, but quite
often I got segmentation faults and did not spend much time investigating
the cause.
Having an SWT based on gtk should make life a lot easier for embedding
mozilla.

The browser widget I prototyped did not quite follow the SWT convention of
wrapping the native API's in Java and calling them,
it was more coarse grained than that.  Mozilla exposes its interfaces as
XPCOM interfaces, and, since XPCOM
is very similar with COM/OLE, I think the SWT team can start doing a nicer
wrapping by going straight to the
base of mozilla and expose most of its API's, including the events, DOM,
etc. There are XPCOM interfaces
for all the major functions of the browser.

-Dorian

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           "Nick Edgar"            |
|         |           <Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxx>    |
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-help-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           07/17/2002 03:13 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-help-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                               |
  |       cc:       Vlad Klicnik/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA                                                              |
  |       Subject:  [platform-help-dev] Embedding Mozilla                                                       |

The workbench team is interested in investigating embedding a web browser
on Linux/Unix as well as Windows.
Did the Help team investigate embedding Mozilla?  If so, I'd be interested
in hearing what was learned, and what issues have prevented us from doing
this so far.

Thanks,
Nick