Re: [platform-help-dev] Multiple product Help Search Indices.

When help starts, it calls the platform to collect all the plugins that
contribute documentation. I don't know how configurations work, but I
suppose that only the plugins in the current configuration are returned, so
help navigation is built out of those plugins.
Indexing is done on a first invocation of search, so only documents defined
by the current navigation are indexed. On subsequent eclipse sessions,
plugin changes are detected and the index is updated accordingly.
The index is stored in the help state location, as returned by the
platform. If each configuration has its own state location, then there is
no issue. If the plugin state locations are shared among all
configurations, then you end up with one index, so there is no
configuration specific index.
Do you know if each configuration uses its own plugin state location?

-dorian

                    Peter
                    Manahan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA       To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e       Subject:     [platform-help-dev] Multiple product Help Search Indices.
                    clipse.org

                    04/17/2002 02:37 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

Scenario:
Multiple products using the same core workbench. Each using a different
configuration. So some configurations contain different sets of plugins
than others (i.e. simple case is JDT vs CDT). If the JDT is used in one
configuration and is unavailable in the CDT configuration.

Questions:
1) Does indexing occur per configuration (i.e only those that are loaded).
2) Are per configuration indices even possible? Or is it per workspace etc.

I would expect it to be that when running say CDT and did an search I would
get no hits from the JDT docs as they weren't in the current configuration.
When I later switched to the "JDT" product configuration and did a search
the index would contain no CDT product documentation.

This has a major impact on how we install/configure our products.

Thanks,

Peter Manahan
WebSphere Tools
Build/Install and