Re: [platform-help-dev] Re: What info will be returned on search hit lists?

I would stay away from adding extra markup to help, unless it provides a
lot of extra value. One can even go in the opposite direction, and only
provide a "label" attribute when the document does not have a predefined
way of getting it (like <title> for an html document).
Not all the groups using eclipse help have build processes like larger
companies, and any extra work would make their live more difficult.

Another, more complex, solution would be to support pluggable document
handlers (parsers, etc) that would take care of handling each plugin's
documentation in the appropriate fashion. IMHO, again, that's also
over-engineering with not a lot of benefits.

So far, I think Leigh's suggestion to use title may be the most reasonable
one. The minor objections I have with that one are :
- slight inconsistency between the search view and the navigation view when
you "synchronize":  you could be shown a topic with a different label in
the navigation view
- the fact that there is dual label maintenance in <topic label=" .."> and
inside the html docs (<title>)
 (here I am talking about small ISV that do not have complex build
processes to take care of managing docs).

In general, I think <title> is a good choice for showing in help.

-Dorian

                    Brian
                    Gillan/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS        To:     platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    platform-help-dev-admin@e       Subject:     [platform-help-dev] Re: What info will be
                    clipse.org                       returned on search hit lists?

                    02/14/2002 12:53 PM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-help-dev

Would a possible solution to the issue of whether to extract the content of
<title> (for html), or something else for other content types (XML, PDF,
etc.) to be presented in the search results be to add an additional piece
of information to the navigation structure, for example <topic label="..."
searchlabel="...">. When search results are returned, the content of
searchlabel would be provided, and if not set, label would be used. Then it
could be up to the build process which creates the navigation structure to
extract and set the searchlable. The only down-side to this that I could
see is it duplicates the information, but that would be the case for an
implementation where the search indexer extracts this information as well,
right?

Brian Gillan