Re: [platform-help-dev] identifying views

The mappings for primary TOC and subsequent sections seems OK to me. From
an IBM perspective, though, we still have the visual / help UI need to
separate different solution sets into primary TOCs, then only show / search
partial TOCs from there.

Think of this another way: we need a "TOC collection" level
view--regardless of what it's called. Call it a "bookshelf", if that makes
it clearer. In Eclipse 1.0, that's the pull-down menu for infosets.

Putting all of this into one primary TOC will simply get too complex, as
one solution after another offers different ways to chop up their
information.

So we simply need an affordance in the DHTML (or as an XSL style, as Dorian
mentions) that will let users select / browse the bookshelf / collection of
primary TOCs. The visual problem with the 1.0 drop-down is that it
effectively hides all the the other primary TOCs / infosets--and it doesn't
need to be modelled in the XML as it was.

I agree with Jeanette about users providing their own views / topic
arrangements--at some point we should probably give them

1. a way to annotate topics
2. a way to easily add their own topics and TOCs (this is probably a help
tools thought)

One of the issues with customers' control over information is an update
issue--what happens to their changes if a plugin changes?

- Jamie

Dorian Birsan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA@xxxxxxxxxxx on 20/11/2001 06:48:29 PM

Please respond to platform-help-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:  platform-help-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx