Re: [platform-doc-dev] Improving code snippet visual effect in doc

The tool I mentionned has an Eclipse plugin that seems pretty easy to use.
It also offers several target format (using css, inlined fonts, ...).
If the tool doesn't offer what we need out of the box we might consider
extending it. This it is CPL, this might be doable.

I just would like to see "nicer" code snippets which looks more like the
way to code is displayed inside Eclipse's java editor.

Olivier

Michael Valenta/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-doc-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
2007-06-07 11:44
Please respond to
"Platform Documentation discussions." <platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Platform Documentation discussions." <platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-doc-dev] Improving code snippet visual effect in doc

Olivier,

This makes sense to me. What I think would be useful is the ability to
convert a snipet of code from an editor into HTML that uses classes to
identify the syntactic elements (perhaps using a Copy Special operation or
something similar). Then the look could be tailored through a CSS file.
The ability to generate the CSS from the Eclipse preferences would make
tailoring the look easier.

Michael

Olivier Thomann/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-doc-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/06/2007 11:12 AM

Please respond to
"Platform Documentation discussions." <platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-doc-dev] Improving code snippet visual effect in doc

Hi,

I noticed that all code snippets are in blue.
Personnally I prefer much more code snippets with syntax coloring. There
are tools like http://www.java2html.de/ that easily allows colors to be
used to improve the visual effect of the code snippets. java2html has a
CPL license, so it should not be a problem to use it for Eclipse doc. It
even has an Eclipse style.

This tool is just an example. I am sure there are other tools to achieve
the same result (get syntax coloring for code snippets).

I would like to propose to use such a tool to create the code snippets
inside Eclipse doc. Not for 3.3, but post 3.3.

Any comments?

Olivier