Re: [platform-doc-dev] documentation style guide

Argh, Notes!  -- Really, it looked good on my machine,

Here are my comments reformatted:

- Is the comment "...display the name in a bold font. There are
  different  ways this can be done:..." for expediency or is this
  actually what we are advocating? That is, if the <span> based
  version is the best strategy, shouldn't we just tell people to
  use it?

- Re: " instruct the user to "right-click". This has the well
  known problems:
    1) mouse buttons are reversed for left handers.
    2) Mac users may have only single button mice.
  Have we decided to ignore this? [Note: I'm ok with that, I
  just want to make sure that this is not an oversight.]

- It's odd that we "click" push buttons and radio buttons, but
  "select" check box buttons. It's not clear that there is a
  better answer, however.

- Re: "Do not instruct the user to "click on". Use "click the
  <name of tab>." | Click the General tab." Aside from seeming
  like a duplicate of the previous style point, the example does
  not match the instructions. That is, the name of the tab is
  "General", so to follow the instructions as written you should
  say "Click the General."

- Traditionally, related concepts were relegated to their own
  section in each page. Because of the comment "Consider having
  inline links to concepts that are Eclipse-specific." I assume
  we have decided to not do this. Should the separate section be
  removed (or only included if a particular related concept is
  not mentioned in an inline link)?

- Since most tools add generator tags, does "Remove all generator
  tags and author tags." mean that we should actively go and
  remove them (each time?) after editing? If this is important,
  can it not be post-processed rel. eng. or the help team?

hoping that's more readable,
McQ.

Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-doc-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/08/04 13:24
Please respond to
platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

platform-doc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-doc-dev] documentation style guide

Random comments from someone who has not been tracking this closely: