[platform-doc-dev] What's New and Tips and Tricks sections

To ensure consistency for the What's New and Tips and Tricks sections
across {Platform, JDT, PDE}, I suggest we adopt the following guidelines
(based on a mix of ideas I got while reviewing what PDE and JDT have
done).

=============================

What's New section

- main label in book is "What's new" (as opposed to "What's New" or
"What's New in 2.1")
- item has no children (like PDE)

- files in whatsNew/ directory
- all items in a single *_whatsnew.html file
- *_whatsnew.html  begins

<h2>What's New in 2.1</h2>
Here are some of the more interesting or significant changes made to XXX
for the 2.1 release of Eclipse since 2.0:

- table parameters
border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="600"
first column width="20%" valign="top" align="right"
second column width="80%" valign="top" align="left"

- each image should have alt text
- images no wider than 466 pixels
- all image files in whatsNew/images/ directory
- remove all unneeded image files

=============================

Tips and Tricks section

- main label in book is "Tips and tricks" (as opposed to "Tips and
Tricks")
- item has no children (like PDE)

- files in tips/ directory
- all tips in a single *_tips.html  file (merge tips-11.htm into
jdt_tips.html)
- remove all unneeded files
- *_tips.html  begins

<h2>Tips and Tricks</h2>

- either a single table (PDE), or multiple tables with <h3> categories

- table parameters
border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="600"
first column width="20%" valign="top" align="right"
second column width="80%" valign="top" align="left"

- each image should have alt text
- images no wider than 466 pixels
- all image files in tips/images/ directory
- remove all unneeded image files

=======================

I suggest we aim to have all these changes made and reviewed by today's
(Wednesday's) build.

Who will make these changes:
Platform - Jeem (done)
JDT - Martin/ZRH
PDE - Dejan

Tod: please redo snaps for Platform and PDE T&T and WN where required;
Dirk/ZRH: please redo snaps for JDT T&T (you say WN is fine).

I'm asking for volunteers to quickly read over and try out the tips and
tricks in each of Platform JDE, PDE, to make sure they are both
comprehensible and helpful. The ideal volunteers will be fresh and no
carrying a lot of mental baggage about internals --- someone that thinks
like a regular Eclipse user :-)

---jeem

Back to the top