Re: [platform-doc-dev] Style issues

John Arthorne wrote:

I think we should agree on a standard way of referencing actions and preferences in the doc. About half of the doc uses bold text when referencing menu actions, and half doesn't. Most of the doc uses the ">" character to separate cascading submenus (for example, File > New > Project...). I've seen a couple of places that use "/", and some that use "->". My personal preference is bold text using ">" signs (<b>File &gt; New &gt; Project...</b>).

Standardization is a very good idea.

For preferences, there are again a variety of styles. Some places will give the full path to get to the preference (Window > Preferences > Workbench > File Associations), while some will just give the path within the preference dialog (Workbench > File Associations). Again, there are a variety of separator styles; some are bold, and some aren't. Of all these, I like the style used in the platform tips and tricks document. This style assumes the user knows how to find the preference dialog, and just gives a parenthetical bold reference to where in the dialog the preference is found. For example: "There is a preference (<b>Workbench / File Associations</b>) for choosing which editor to open for a given file type".

Any thoughts?

It would be nice to think that customers will read at least the Getting Started section, will work through the tutorials, and will remember where all the functionality was located. However, in real life there is always the danger that any online help page will be the first page that a customer views. For that reason I prefer to make each page as self-contained as possible. What that means in this case is that I would always give the full path to the preference page being discussed.

Mike

Back to the top