Re: [platform-dev] Process for a security/bugfix release for the Eclipse Platform

Marta,

I notice this interesting blog has relevant background details:

  https://newsroom.eclipse.org/eclipse-newsletter/2023/may/reporting-and-managing-security-issues-eclipse-foundation-projects

With respect to timing, I see this in the policy:

  https://www.eclipse.org/security/policy/#timing

With respect to distribution of a resolution, I do not see the use of, nor definition of, the term "security release" but rather only the following, where it simply mentions using "normal distribution channels" at a minimum:

  https://www.eclipse.org/security/policy/#distribution

In general, all changes are normally made available for distribution within a day via integration builds, and, as you've noted, releases are normally made available for distribution on a quarterly basis.

Also highly relevant, is that the simultaneous release, the mostly widely used distribution channel, is also normally available quarterly.  SimRel integration (staging) builds are available daily with new content available as  contributed by the participating projects:

  https://ci.eclipse.org/simrel/

Asking for special out-of-band "security releases" is asking for a lot from the Platform project.  Too much in my personal opinion, but everyone is entitled to an option.  Moreover,  I assume this same policy, and expectation, applies uniformly for all projects where that expectation is probably significantly less realistic.  It would seem better to me to try to work (as much as possible) within the bounds of the existing processes and normal distribution channels.

General cross-cutting discussions or issues can be hosted here:

  https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/discussions
  https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/issues

This related discussion is already underway:

  https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/discussions/129

Regards,
Ed