Re: [platform-dev] Generic Text Editor for pure E4

Hi,

I need to be more specific: "we" means a bit wider part of community who is working with Eclipse-based products that may include text editing. Good part of them are using OSGi components and E4 Workbench and do not want to degrade to E3 (or E2) architecture.

Sorry, Mickael, for not replying  your question regarding "E4 vs E3" in details: it may eat too much from the time we have in this life :) I cannot disagree with you: from the IDE plug-in development perspective E4 approach may look needless. Also, we do not have a clear picture how to introduce the benefits of OSGi/E4 to the IDE-related scenarios. I was pretty conservative regarding E4 some time ago, and several years before that I suppressed to replace Ant with Maven in my projects, and in the middle of 00's I was against switching to EMF (sorry for that). And all of this because there was no time to try the technology and to understand its pro&cons.

So, let's say we are evaluating switching to E4 for the editors. We already realized that it will be a long path. I suggest to establish an incubation project in the E4 space for these who are interested in this. We will see how it goes there and then we can return to the question regarding Platform Editors.

WDYT?

Regards,
AF