Re: [platform-dev] API changes in SDK

Comments below.

On 10.05.2019 10:10, Vikas Chandra wrote:

>>If only the correct baseline were automatically set...

In a new workspace, for an API tooling enabled plugin, we always have an "error" that tells the user that there is no baseline.
Quickfix takes you to the page where baseline is added. After that, the user should understand and set the correct baseline.
Most of the the documentation is already there is Andrey's 1st email's link ( setting correct baseline and versioning).

With the Oomph setup, the baseline is always set up automatically.    There are Oomph setups for the entire darned Eclipse SDK along with detailed documentation:

  https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning

So when I'm asked to help fix issues in the e4 workbench model I use exactly this approach to set up an IDE to work on the platform.ui repository, complete with the baseline set, and it tells me properly about problems resulting from regenerating the model.  I didn't have to read any instructions first.

But everyone else seems completely enamored with their individualized manual approach, no doubt keeping a workspace/installation alive as long as possible because creating a new one is so unpleasant.

>> And all the preferences too.

If you don't tinker with the preference, it remains the most optimum one. There is an option of restore default in preference
page. ( in case you have changed preference)

If you have some good suggestion or ideas to improve and automate, please feel free to open a bug and discuss.

Well, that's already done.  But I'm told it can't be used, even though I use it myself and it works for me.  If something doesn't work, I can fix that, but as I said, it works for me.

As an example of how easy it could be, just consider that these the only instructions one needs to set up an EMF development environment:

https://ci.eclipse.org/emf/

Drag and drop and your done.   All the necessary tools are installed,  the projects are imported, organized in working sets, the right preferences are set for EMF development.  And I've tried to make it just as easy for all the platform's projects.  But in the end, I can only lead a horse to water...

Regards,
Vikas
Eclipse PDE lead,
IBM Rational
EGL D Block - Bangalore, India
Office Phone No : +91 - 80 - 41776506

Inactive
          hide details for Ed Merks ---05/09/2019 11:20:10 PM---If only
          the correct baseline were automatically set...  And all Ed Merks ---05/09/2019 11:20:10 PM---If only the correct baseline were automatically set...  And all the preferences too.  I wonder how